Thursday, March 10, 2011

How to be a relationship JEDI!


I know it's weird of me to say but most churches creep me out. Not sure why I've only had 1 bad experience at a church. So believe me when I say that the event we did last night at Journey Christian Church was a blast! And I wasn't creeped out at all!

Before I go into about the event, I must say how impressed I was with this church. I think my Aunt Pam and Uncle Harold would love this church. When you first pull up to this place it's absolutely huge and gorgeous. Most people think of churches as triangular with stained glass windows and polished hard wooden pews. Not this one. The architecture of the building is just quite amusing. I can't even describe it and now I'm so sorry I didn't take a picture of it. I for see a road trip out there just to get a picture of it. When you first walk in there is a huge lobby with some chairs and tables for people to gather at. I didn't see the entire place but I was very impressed with the auditorium where they had the event and the chapel. Both had a very nice layout no such thing as a bad seat in either room. Lots of nice audio and visual equipment as well. I was most impressed with the baptism area off on the side of the chapel. (By this point I was impressed with the building but who knew I'd be so impressed with the children from it's congregation. I will honestly admit I was prepared for the worst and so glad I was wrong.)

Now normally I guess one should find out more about a place before they do an event but I have to admit I had no clue about Journey and must admit that they are not what I would have expected. The name of the event was, "How to be a relationship JEDI". It's part of their youth program called Reverb.  Although we didn't go into the auditorium during the meeting it was fun to hear the kids inside be all excited. I believe it was either Amie or Matt that told me that it was about building relationships and that tonights meeting was about serving others. I can't help but say that is a tough stance for a church to take. Although Aime said it best when she said, "that doing the right thing is not always easy". In today's society you see so many of our youth throw their lives away with wreckless decisions. Not to mention so many parents are to busy to be parents and talk to their children about building relationships. Although I don't have children of my own I've met so many wonderful kids over the years and have to admit that it breaks my heart when I see them going for a relationship that B9, from lost in space would scream, "Danger!". So if you live in the Orlando area and are looking for a church that has family values on their agenda I highly recommend checking them out. I also have to say I really enjoyed my conversation with Aime and learned from her and the many inquisitive children what a great place this was. I also have to admit I really enjoyed watching the videos they've done on relationships.

I have to admit that tying in Star Wars as a theme for the night was a great idea. The kids were all so well behaved and the middle schoolers had a million questions. Sadly some I couldn't even answer. At sometimes  the kids couldn't tell which were they more excited about the Storm Troopers, Commander Rex or the Astromech Units. I couldn't believe how much fun I had talking with everyone that I forgot to take pictures. (Which is so unlike me! Well, I did take a few pictures.)

I have to say one of my favorite parts of the night was when I took R7's head off. I remember as a child how being smart and being intrigued about science and electronics was frowned on by my peers. So I really got a kick out of the swarm of kids and adult who came over to look.








For more information on Journey Christian Church you can check out their main site or find them on Facebook. For more info on their youth program Reverb you can visit their main site or find them on Facebook as well.

As a side note I'd like to say it's always a pleasure to work with the 501st! I'd also like to thank Jim Quinlan for let Matt know about the group here in FL. Thanks so much Matt for having us it was a blast. If you guys ever have a need for us just ask. Also want to say thanks to all the kids for being so well behaved. You make your parents proud.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say thank you for posting this up! Christy and I have been searching for a new church home, and just after briefly reading on their site, I think we're going to check them out next weekend!

    (them being SW fans is just a bonus!)

    ReplyDelete