Sunday, September 1, 2013

Don't break my art my ache breaky maker's faire art.....




"More than 2500 people attended the Orlando Mini Maker Faire at the Central Florida Fairgrounds on Saturday, May 26, 2012." - Orlando Sentinel

I wish I had my photos from Last years Orlando's Mini Maker's faire. I stole a couple from friends to post here. Last year was the first one in Orlando and it was a huge hit. I've always been a fan of the things people make and those that know my husband know he's always making something. So naturally this place was like coming home. Palm Beach LED describes the Maker's faire the best, "Celebrating Central Florida’s Innovation, Invention, and DIY spirit! This Mini Maker Faire is a community-organized celebration featuring local DIY science and technology, rockets, robots, arts, crafts, and music."

This year the faire is being held at the Orlando Science Center on October 5th. You can get your tickets here or at the door. This year they've been holding mini maker's faires for the past couple of months building up to the main event. One of these events was Robot Days. This was really a lot of fun. Although everything that was most impressive I was really quite surprised by the kids who built robots and made them run. These brilliant kids were enthusiastic to show & explain what their robots could do.

So what to expect from the main event? Well last year I wasn't sure what to expect. I'd seen tons of photos about the maker faires on the west coast, but being a new event here in Orlando my largest fear was it would be a flop. Never have I been happier that my biggest fear didn't occur. With over 100 exhibits and 2500 attendees, it was a major success.

One of the things I really enjoyed was FamiLab's table. No one ever taught me how to solder but I had done it before. (Mostly cause I'm cheap & decided to fix electronics instead of tossing it.) They had this table set up where you bought a simple light up kit and they walked you through the steps on how to solder it. Although no one has really stated what they are planning to do for this year's main event I can only imagine. I know I'll it'll be difficult going between my own duties at the event and checking out all the following cool things listed on the Maker's site. (To see the full list of  maker exhibits click here.)

While looking over the site's list I can't wait to see the rockets, learn what a theremin is, learn about the Dark Sky Festival, what hacker spaces are used for, Special effects make-up workshop, Lock pick Village, Steampunk creations and assorted 3D printers, just to name a few.

By the way fellow makers I plan to bring a box of misc stuff for other makers to have that I don't want or need. Can't wait to see what people make.

Here are a few articles from last year's faire
Orlando Mini Maker Faire - Orlando Weekly
Orlando Mini Maker Faire - Gabotronics


2 comments:

  1. It was great to see you guys at the Orlando Mini Maker Faire again this year! I wasn't sure if anyone has contacted you from the Miami Mini Maker Faire, but I thought I'd mention it since I'm sure your group would be a hit there too: http://makerfairemiami.com/. This is the first year for the Miami Mini Maker Faire...

    Looking forward to seeing your awesome droids again in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information. I'll definitely add this great post in my article section.
    Remodeling contractors Miami

    ReplyDelete